Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Video Interview - Individual

This mock video interview shows my Oral Communication skills. During this interview, I maintained an engaging tone with the interviewer and always tried to look at the camera while I talk. This is very important because it demonstrate confidence on my answer to the interviewer’s questions. During this interview I also paid a lot of attention to my interviewer’s body and facial expressions such as head movement and body posture. This is very important to get feedback on my answers and be able to change the tone of my voice or the speed I am talking. I also maintained a straight posture and wore a light color shirt to overcome the poor lighting and the quality of the video.

 
This video interview has been very useful for me. I noticed some things I do while I am answering questions on camera. The first thing I noticed during the interview is that I tend to look up while I am thinking and answering a question. This could give the interviewer the impression that I do not know how to answer the question or that I am not confident with what I am saying. I also noticed that I move my legs a lot, which on the camera looks like my whole body is moving, and this could be uncomfortable for the interviewer. I did try to go on camera again and found out that if I hold an object, I stop moving because I apply pressure to the object instead. On the contrary, I noticed that when I am in interviewing in camera or in person, I tend to speak a lot slower than I do in person, which is a good thing because the interviewer can understand my ideas better.
I also noticed from the interview that having a yellow background and a light shirt is not the best combination. The color of the shirt, the light background and the not so ideal illumination in the room makes my face blurry and causes the interviewer not to see my eyes which in my opinion is essential to see how confident is the interviewee.
       I chose my 45 seconds from 2 different questions. I think these are the best moments because I am looking at the camera while I talk. Also, is really hard to see from the video but while I am answering the questions I can see that the interviewer is very interested in my answers.
       This assignment has helped me a lot understand the mistakes I make when I am interviewing. I also think that it will make me a better presenter for future presentations or videoconferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment